Saturday 11 February 2012

Letter 1 Shanti’s First Letter.




Shanti,            
Titirangi,            
Auckland,            
New Zealand.            

            Joseph,
            The Game Reserve,
            Andhra Pradesh,
            India.

Dear Joseph,
        I believe you may be surprised to receive this letter from me. My name is Shanti Singh and I am a New Zealand born Indian.
        The reason why I am writing is to answer the advert you published in Five Continents Magazine. I am very interested in having a penfriend from India and I hope that this is the beginning of a long and lasting friendship.
        Well, perhaps you wish to know more about me. As I’ve already mentioned, my name is Shanti and I am 24 years old. Please find my photo enclosed. I work as a clerk in a share broking company in the centre of Auckland. I live with my parents near the western edge of the city in an area called Titirangi. This township lies close to a large area of parkland in the Waitakere Ranges, to the west of Auckland City.
        Well in future letters I’ll tell you more about myself and about where I live but for now, I wish to know more about you. I notice that you live in or near a game reserve. What is this like? Is this where you work? Please write and tell me about yourself?
        As I said, I hope that this is the start of a long and lasting friendship.
                From your new friend,
                                Shanti Singh.


        P.S. What did you mean in your advert by “broad-minded conversation?




12 comments:

  1. The seeds for the future are laid in the post script.... Nice beginning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ayaka and Anne
    When you told me about Letters of Shanti and Joseph you asked me to tell you what I liked and make many comments so I intend to do this.
    So this is Letter One, the real one which Shanti made. I am looking forward to where all this goes.
    Asami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Asami
      I am pleased you have started reading this story. You are beginning in the write place too. Just keep going from here. You have a lot of reading in front of you. Follow what Ayaka told you and I hope to get lots of feed back as to what you think.
      Love Anne.

      Delete
  3. Anne I followed your advice.
    Here I am at number one. is this how it all started?
    Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this is the beginning of all the stories. Susan you told me to start here.
    So where will this go? I am interested to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      Susan told me you were going to start reading.
      Welcome to Letters. We hope you have a naughty, sexy journey.
      Yes, this letter is mostly like a real one sent to a man in India by Shandra.
      As to where it will go? All I can say is keep reading.
      Read each Letter and its background. Take your time. Enjoy the journey.
      Anne

      Delete
  5. So this is where you told me to start Anne.
    It looked innocent enough Shanti replying to a penfriend advert but then came that post script:- "broad-minded conversation." What does he mean by that? I turn over the page with interest and intrigue.
    Moa

    ReplyDelete
  6. They tell me this is a journey following two groups of people. First there are the characters of the stories then there are thte team who write. I've promirsed Susan I will begin at this letter and follow the stories from here.
    Mera

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are joining your tour of this Letters blog. Thankfully you asked us Susan. Do you remember us? I invited you to our house but you had no time.
    I am now wondering how these stories got to the ones you are writing now. I can see it is a long journey.
    Sayoka.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew how this started, and just after reading this first letter I am starting to understand. As for broad minded conversation, wow the letters sure went in that direction - lovely !!!! Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Peter, here we are at the very beginning. It is interesting how this developed into the blog it is today. you might like to know that this letter was written in 1999.
      Asami

      Delete
  9. Here we are Synthisha and I at Story One. We have decided to follow it from the beginning and read everything. James says it could take us up to a couple of years but we plan to try.
    Ayesha.

    ReplyDelete