Friday 8 May 2015

Story 141 Background.

                                                                               Posted by Allan.

Hi from Allan.
          When the younger members of our team voted to keep Jenny in the stories, a period of extensive re-writing was required. Further out, since Mega had replaced Jenny, she appeared in many of the stories Anne had written, so they all had to be corrected now. One way we got around this was by bringing Mega to New Zealand, it was then likely she would appear in New Zealand stories. She still had Brian so of course, he needed to come along too.
         First off we needed a story about bringing them to New Zealand for a visit (Story 139 Mega & Brian in New Zealand). That was the three-part story written by Susan with some help from her friends. Anne had already written Story 140  The Fishing Trip. Mega is mentioned in this story too, but it doesn’t say she was attached to Peter, so we were could leave it how it was by just adding Brian's name a couple of times. Now finally Brian and Mega needed to make that decision to move to New Zealand. This is the story published this week. 

         I knew I had to write this story. I decided that a nice location might work. One day I had business in the city that finished early, so on the way home, I stopped off at 'The Riverhead' a tavern. I loved this old pub; it had been a favourite watering hole of mine. I’d heard it had re-opened under new owners so decided to check it out. Originally I intended just having a couple of beers but then decided on a late lunch.
          I really liked the location and atmosphere of the restaurant. I suddenly thought this was the ideal location for my story. Over my meal and a couple of beers afterwards, most of the story was written, scribbled out on notepaper. I think the staff there were a bit surprised at this guy turning up and writing a story there.
         Back on the farm, the girls liked the idea and so I developed it further until I had a version ready to use. Of course, the publishing process made a number of changes but most of what you read today was what was written that afternoon in the restaurant.
         It’s not sexy, was never meant to be. This story is one of those linking, transition stories where we move and develop our characters, ready for many new stories to come. Did I say ‘come’ or should I mean ‘cum’?  LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment